Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Patchwork Project (part 3)

It's all in the details.

I find that with so many things, the little added touches...the details, really do make a difference!

In order to make the new carseat cover removable (and washable), I had to cut slits to allow for the seatbelt straps. To keep the edges from coming apart I sewed around where the slits would be cut. I also added buttonholes down the sides.

I made some "laces" out of polka dot fabric to keep the carseat cover sides together. I thought bows tied at the bottom would be a cute little detail.

Another detail I thought would be nice to have was seatbelt strap covers. I found this tutorial that suggested using potholders. Since I wanted everything to match, I traced the potholder onto my quilt fabric, cut it out, and added double folded bias tape and velcro.

Finally, this project is complete!

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Reversible Table Runner with Ruffled Trim

I decided to use some fabric from my stash to make a table runner for our entry table. I've seen a couple of patterns (here and here) that got me motivated enough to make my own. (go here to make the paper bag mushrooms. easy and fun.)
I decided to use fabrics that match the curtains in the living room and kitchen. The curtains in the living room are reversible (i turn them over every six months). The curtains in the kitchen aren't reversible...yet.

One side of the runner is a variety of different strips of fabric that matches both sides of the living room curtains.

And the other side is solid green fabric, like the kitchen.

I wanted to add a ruffle trim because I have been seeing ruffles everywhere. (back in October, when i was making costumes, i found this cool tutorial for sewing ruffles, read down to number 5.)

I really like how it turned out. Now, I think I'd like to make a table runner for the kitchen table. And maybe paint that table in the entry. White. Yeah.. we'll see.

I'm linking here today:



Related Posts with Thumbnails