i know, i know. i'm sure there are tons of tutorials on this. but here is ours...
you will need:
birdseed for wild birds
plastic spoon or craft stick
1. tie the yarn onto the pinecone.
2. cover the pinecone with peanut butter by spreading it with the plastic spoon or craft stick.
3. fill a bowl with the birdseed.
4. roll the peanut butter-covered pinecone in the birdseed.
5. hang the pinecone birdfeeder on a tree branch.
(make sure to hang it from a branch that has another branch underneath. that way the birds have something to sit on while they eat!)
we read bird books and listened to birdcalls from our area on enature.com. we also painted and cut-out bird shapes, then flew around with our paper birds.